Tuesday, July 20, 2010

They Don't Exactly have Sportscenter in Africa

Probably the hardest part of the transition to Mali has been the loss of regular information to which we are all accustomed. No tv, internet, newspaper, etc... Topics such as where Lebron went, what the Skins have done wrong now, and various other non sports related news issues are no longer available to me. Though I hope to get a radio at my site in September so I can listen to the BBC, the only real information I get about the outside world comes during my two days with internet once or twice a month. With that being said, shoot me an email or a facebook message if there is anything of major interest that you think I should be made aware of when I manage to get internet. This way I don't have to sift through three weeks of news to find one or two stories of interest.

Also, I'm sorry to all of my friends who I haven't been able to be there for since I'm out of contact in Africa. One of the most frustrating and real aspects of the Peace Corps is that in order to work to better our communities here, we have to make sacrifices with our communities at home. I've always been someone who wants to be there for my friends, and so for those of you who I have not/can't be there for, I'm sorry. Know that I am thinking about you.

Back into the countryside till sometime in mid August. Be well and be safe. Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. your still using hcauley@cox.net right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LeBron went to the Heat, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not much of a blogger; I did not realize there was a limit on number of words. Hope my comments come thru take care love aunt Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Harry I am not very good at this. Nora was using my phone while we were driving to Stone Harbor so it looks like she sent the comment but it was really me! One of your faborites aunts!
    Your blogs are very interesting . What a challenging experience you are going thru.
    We just arrived in SH. Ned and his friends did a good job cleaning. Your parents were worried about that . Take care love aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally got to catch up on your blogs and WHOA your life sounds intense. So happy for you to have this amazing experience and just know that when your moods vary toward the lower end of the spectrum, we're all over here constantly cheering you on. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete